Saturday, January 2, 2010

'Avatar' Smashes into my Top 3 films of all time.

There was allot of things about 2009 people couldn't wait to see go. We are all optimistically looking at 2010 as a time to reflect and refresh, to rebuild some of the things we fucked up in 2009. However, There was also allot of things that were great about 2009. In Particular, Films.

I started out the year strong. Living next door to the movie theater for 2 and a half years presented a great opportunity to see all the new releases, usually on opening night. I became sort of an amateur film critic and a reveled in the fact that if it was good, or bad I knew about it. Usually first before my friends or co-workers.

2009 had two great movies that stuck with me all year. Like "IronMan" and to a lesser extent "Hulk" in 2008 I was graced with the presence of "Star Trek" and "Terminator: Salvation". Both of these movies entered high in my new Top 25 movies of all time list, hell they are both in my top 10. And, for the majority of '09 I battled with friends over which was better. My personal take, on the Film making and acting aspect "Star Trek", it was Epic and Amazing. But In the character and story aspect "Terminator: Salvation" held a special place in my heart.

But this gridlock has come to an abrupt halt, there is a new Champion, "Avatar".

I just went to see James Camron's epic "Avatar" today at IMAX and I can't get it out of my head. The film was so amazing that it is almost borderline depressing to know that it was in fact, just a film. It had that deep almost spiritual quality to it that made you feel one with that universe, and to get up and walk out of the theater you knew all you had to look forward to was disappointment.
Everything about the film was epic. From how it was shot, to the story and characters, to the world it takes place in, to the music and sound. Everything is amazing. Some people have criticized the movie based upon the fact that when something is truly and genuinely a masterpiece, there needs to be shots taken at it. Some professional film geek, who hates movies like "Transformers" (Also good) because there is giant robots, explosions and Megan Fox, would take shots at the film and try to find cracks in its veneer just because the film is great unto itself. The general populace doesn't need this film geek to tell us that the movie is great and amazing, it shows us itself.

Simply put "Avatar" is great, and I can't wait to go see it again. I could write an essay on the movie but I won't. I will just tell you go see it for yourself, try to see it in IMAX for the best experience and prepare to be amazed. People who know me will tell you, for a film to enter the top 3, right behind "The Crow" is an amazing feat!

The new Top 3

2 comments:

Karen @ Remergence said...

Hey there Dave love the number one, The Crow is an amazing film ;)

Dave_Radcliffe said...

Hey Karen! Oh yeah, I <3 The Crow! Greatest movie of ALL TIME! lol, have you seen Avatar yet?

Post a Comment